Proposed Pretreatment Legal Modifications
For City-specific information:
Industrial Pretreatment News: Industries Recognized for 2021 Wastewater Discharge Compliance
In conjunction with the cities of Eugene and Springfield, the MWMC recently issued our 2021 Certificates of Environmental Compliance to 20 industries! This award recognizes each recipient’s hard work to achieve 100% compliance with their Wastewater Discharge Permit, to protect each city’s local wastewater system, our regional treatment plant, worker safety, community members, and the McKenzie and Willamette rivers.
A special congratulations to Turtle Mountain LLC on Main Street in Springfield who has met their discharge limits and earned annual compliance awards for 10 consecutive years. Below are the industries that were recognized for 2021.
- Arclin U.S.A.
- Farwest Steel Corporation
- Hexion Inc.
- International Paper Company
- McKenzie-Willamette Medical Center
- PeaceHealth Oregon Region – RiverBend Annex (A Division of PeaceHealth)
- PeaceHealth – RiverBend Sacred Heart Medical Center
- Swanson Group Mfg., LLC
- Turtle Mountain, LLC (Main St.)
- Turtle Mountain, LLC (Shelley St.)
A Regional Approach to Industrial Pretreatment
The community relies on the MWMC model ordinance to reduce the amount of pollution in industrial wastewater before it flows into the public sewer system or reaches the regional treatment facility on River Avenue in Eugene. The cities of Eugene and Springfield manage individual Pretreatment Programs, but work closely together.
The goals of the Industrial Pretreatment Program are to:
- Prevent the introduction of pollutants into our treatment plant that will interfere with treatment operations or damage sewer or treatment facilities;
- Prevent the introduction of pollutants into our treatment plant that cannot be treated and will pass through the plant and into the local (water) environment;
- Protect the public’s health and the environment from risks of pollution; and
- Protect worker safety.
Significant Industrial Users (SIUs) of the wastewater system must maintain discharge permits under the individual city programs. SIUs are defined by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency. The Pretreatment Program is overseen by the State of Oregon Department of Environmental Quality. These dischargers are required to control the quality of their discharge by installing systems to pretreat their wastewater. Pretreatment systems remove certain pollutants and toxins.
Each city’s program also address Pollution Management Practices for certain industry groups like photoprocessors, food service establishments, and dental offices.
Want to learn more? Check out the resources below for more information on local Industrial Pretreatment programs.
Eugene Industrial Pretreatment Program
Springfield Industrial Pretreatment Program
DEQ Factsheet on Dental Rule Compliance
One Time Compliance Report for Dental Dischargers
Notification of Management Standards for Hazardous Waste Pharmaceuticals